As your child starts school there are lots of decisions you will have to make. One of the most important is what they will do at lunch time. So why should you opt for the school meal? Here are some of the main reasons:
- Your child's school meal will be nutritionally balanced to give the right amount of nutrients essential to support healthy growth.
- Children Young People & Children Catering Service provide school meals that meet the governments food group and nutrient standards ensuring meals are low in fat, salt and sugar and high in fibre.
- School Meals develop children's social skills and help your child to learn about using cutlery properly and safely.
- Your child will learn how to talk to others while having a meal and make new friends. This will help your child grow in confidence.
- It can be difficult to get children to try new foods. At school we let them try small portions of food to see if they like it and if so they can have more.
- Teaching and supervisory staff are on hand to encourage children to eat up their lunch.
- Catering staff quickly learn what children like and they will ensure that no child goes hungry.
- A balanced lunch is the best way of ensuring children are attentive and in the best frame of mind to learn in afternoon
Barnsley children benefit from some of the healthiest, tasty school lunches in the country. They include some old favourites such as traditional roast dinners, spaghetti bolognaise, a twist on all day breakfast & the occasional plate of fish & chips as well as salads, filled jacket potatoes, pizza & non meat choices
National standards mean that school lunches provide at least 2 portions of fruit & or vegetables. The standards ensure menus are lower in fat, sugar & salt by restricting deep fried foods & not allowing chocolate, sweets, salty snacks & sugary drinks. School lunches are healthy, well balanced & nutritious. They pack in essential vitamins & minerals your child needs to help them grow, develop, fight infections & have the energy to lead a happy active & healthy life.
Freshly prepared at our school each day, by caring well trained catering employees. A copy of the current menu's is available from the school office or on the Barnsley School Meals website. Click on the link below to visit this website.
Barnsley School Meals website
School meals are currently charged at £1.80 per day.
Payment should be made by cash and placed in an envelope with your child's name & class on the front.
Free School Meals
If you think you may be entitled to free school meals, you can check your eligibility and obtain an application form by telephoning Janet Marshall on 01226 773513. Alternatively you can download a free school meals application by clicking on the link below. Please note that all meals taken prior to authorisation must still be paid for.
The way in which you purchase school milk for your child(ren) has changed. From the 2nd September 2013, parents need to log onto the School Milk Web site in order to register your child and pay the dairy directly for your child’s milk. This is a very simple process and once you have registered there is no need to register again. The school will no longer collect your payments and place the order with the dairy.
If you would like your child to be part of that scheme, you can register on-line at www.schoolmilkuk.co.uk, or via post with a registration form available from the school office.
If you choose to opt into this scheme, your child will receive a 189ml (1/3 pint) carton of milk each school day. The cost of this milk is 16.5p per day, payable in advance for the following full term.